Walt Disney Home Entertainment has announced the Blu-ray release of director David Lowery’s Pete’s Dragon (2016), a reimagining of Disney’s cherished 2012 original that centers on an orphaned boy named Pete and his best friend Elliot, who just so happens to be a dragon. The new family film stars Bryce Dallas Howard, Wes Bentley, Robert Redford, Karl Urban, Oona Laurence and Isiah Whitlock Jr., and arrives on Blu-ray on November 29th.
Families will be captivated by this magical movie followed by never-before-seen bonus features, including a revealing look at director David Lowery’s personal diary kept during the filming of Pete’s Dragon, the design process behind the lovable dragon Elliot, deleted scenes, a tour of the film’s breathtaking production location of New Zealand, audio commentary by filmmakers and actors and hilarious bloopers.
Pete’s Dragon stars Bryce Dallas Howard (Jurassic World) as Grace, a forest ranger in the Pacific Northwest who happens upon 10-year-old Pete, played by Oakes Fegley (This is Where I Leave You). Oona Laurence (Southpaw) is Natalie, the 11-year-old daughter of Jack, a lumber-mill owner played by Wes Bentley (The Hunger Games). Karl Urban (Star Trek) is Jack’s bumbling brother Gavin and Oscar-winner Robert Redford (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) portrays Mr. Meacham, an old wood carver who delights the local children with tales of a fierce dragon.
The film is directed by David Lowery (Ain’t Them Bodies Saints) from a screenplay by Lowery & Toby Halbrooks based on a screenplay by Malcolm Marmorstein and produced by Jim Whitaker, p.g.a. (The Finest Hours), with Barrie M. Osborne (The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring) serving as executive producer.
Writer/director Lowery reveals, “I look back on childhood as an adventure, and I wanted to capture that on screen in the smallest—but also the biggest—way.” The big—the creation of an irresistible 24-foot tall, green, furry dragon that can breathe fire and turn invisible—is brilliantly tackled by the team at the Academy Award-winning visual effects company Weta Digital (The Hobbit films and The Lord of the Rings trilogy). But it’s the small moments between characters that so beautifully convey the film’s powerful message: the importance of friendship, family and finding one’s place in the world.
Pete’s Dragon is presented in 1080p with DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround. Extras include:
- Notes to Self: A Director’s Diary – Director David Lowery narrates the personal diary he kept through the filming of “Pete’s Dragon” in this intimate and fascinating look at the movie’s making.
- Making Magic – Discover fun facts about what went into designing this spectacular, lovable dragon.
- “Disappearing” Moments – The director shares a montage of the film’s “lost” scenes.
- Welcome to New Zealand – Experience the wonders of New Zealand and learn why it’s a magical place to visit … and to make a movie.
- Audio Commentary – Gain an insider perspective from director David Lowery, co-writer Toby Halbrooks and actors Oakes Fegley and Oona Laurence.
- Music Videos: “Nobody Knows” by The Lumineers & “Something Wild” by Lindsey Stirling featuring Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness