The Super Bowl has become, over the last decade, increasingly a debut showcase for new movie teasers/trailers, and last night was no exception. Whether you’re mourning the Patriots inability to tie the Steelers as the greatest franchise in NFL history or celebrating the Eagles finally winning the big one, you got to see some trailers last night. Here they all are in one 7-11 sized big gulp with my knee-jerk reactions.
1. Solo: A Star Wars Story – see here for thoughts on full trailer; liked this better
2. Mission: Impossible – Fallout – see here for full trailer thoughts
3. Avengers: Infinity War – continues to look like the movie of the year
4. Skyscraper – I do not ever immediately dismiss Dwayne Johnson….immediately
5. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – this does not look good
6. The Cloverfield Paradox – maaaan, now I have to renew Netflix
7. A Quiet Place – kind of intrigued; could go either way
8. Red Sparrow – still think this is a Black Widow ripoff, but I’m in
9. Annihilation – Alex Garland? I’m there. Day one.
10. Westworld Season 2 – BRING THIS ON!!!!! Best trailer of the night!
11. Krypton Season 1 – Really want to see this; DC on TV has been pretty stellar
12. Benji – Really?
13. Dundee: Son of a Legend – Really? Really?
2018 has a lot of potential films out there that may hit or miss, much like 2017. On paper, you just can’t be sure until you start to see the trailers. For 2018, the trailers that have been released so far are nearly all for films January to February or big blockbuster franchises. So, there may be releases coming in the first half of the year that will blow us away that we just haven’t seen any footage for yet. Solo: A Star Wars Story has had to sit on the bench until The Last Jedi fades at the box office, but I think we’ll see our first look at that fairly soon, since Disney has five months to hype a Star Wars film people are on the fence or completely oblivious about. Of the 2018 trailers released thus far, here are my ten favorite (Disney has the top 3, so it looks like another huge year for the biggest studio on Earth).
Continue reading Top 10: Trailers for 2018 Movies
Last night, at The Video Game Awards, Universal Studios released the first trailer for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. As near as I can gather, some time has passed from the first film and Isla Nublar-turns out-is a volcano (that’s poor geological planning), and a team is dispatched to the island to save the dinosaurs while a political fight rages over whether these dinosaurs have the right to live. At the center of that fight, and the thing I’m most looking forward to about this film, is the return of Jeff Goldblum’s Dr. Ian Malcolm.
I was not a huge fan of Jurassic World (you can read my review here), but I will readily admit of the other options, it is by far the best sequel to Jurassic Park. The fifth film in the series has a better director in J.A. Bayona (The Impossible, A Monster Calls, Finding Neverland), but the script is still written by Jurassic World’s Colin Treverrow, and the script was one of the biggest problems in that film. We’ve seen dinosaurs now. The ones in Jurassic Park still hold up going into the film’s 25th anniversary next year. What’s missing is a good story, and as cool as it is to see dinos, I’m hoping there’s more to it than I’m seeing in trailer #1. Oh, and I WILL require more misadventures of the world’s worst geneticist: Dr. Henry Wu. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom opens June 22, 2018. More below from Coming Soon. Continue reading Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Trailer #1 (2018) “Life Finds a Way.”