In an era where movies are heralded and marketed years in advance, the Cloverfield franchise is an outlier as the films tend to drop fully formed out of the blue with little to no warning. However, even for this franchise, it was a surprise during Superbowl LII to learn that the third film in the franchise was done, was being released on Netflix, and would be ready for streaming as soon as the game was complete. 10 Cloverfield Lane was one of the best surprises in recent years, so I was hoping that, despite Netflix’s touch with movies, the sci-fi anthology franchise would continue its hot streak. That….is unfortunately not what happens in The Cloverfield Paradox. Continue reading Movie Review: The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) *A Paradoxical Slog*
The Super Bowl has become, over the last decade, increasingly a debut showcase for new movie teasers/trailers, and last night was no exception. Whether you’re mourning the Patriots inability to tie the Steelers as the greatest franchise in NFL history or celebrating the Eagles finally winning the big one, you got to see some trailers last night. Here they all are in one 7-11 sized big gulp with my knee-jerk reactions.
1. Solo: A Star Wars Story – see here for thoughts on full trailer; liked this better
2. Mission: Impossible – Fallout – see here for full trailer thoughts
3. Avengers: Infinity War – continues to look like the movie of the year
4. Skyscraper – I do not ever immediately dismiss Dwayne Johnson….immediately
5. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – this does not look good
6. The Cloverfield Paradox – maaaan, now I have to renew Netflix
7. A Quiet Place – kind of intrigued; could go either way
8. Red Sparrow – still think this is a Black Widow ripoff, but I’m in
9. Annihilation – Alex Garland? I’m there. Day one.
10. Westworld Season 2 – BRING THIS ON!!!!! Best trailer of the night!
11. Krypton Season 1 – Really want to see this; DC on TV has been pretty stellar
12. Benji – Really?
13. Dundee: Son of a Legend – Really? Really?