So how many times have you watched it? I’m up to over a dozen viewings of The Last Jedi trailer, and I’ll be honest, my inner 10-year-old kept me up all night running through shots, amazingly cool things, HUGE questions, etc. The wait was clearly worth it for the trailer, and I have no doubt it will for The Last Jedi proper. OK, so we’ve watched it to death. What are the big takeaways?
- There’s going to be a duality of training: Snoke finally refining Kylo Ren’s power, and Luke initially appearing to agree to train Rey (remember this film will pick up exactly where Episode VII left off).
- Luke realizes the full potential Rey has and completely freaks out. It would seem that, at this point, he will stop her training.
- Not content at patricide, Kylo looks to be severing any connection left to the light, and the implication from the trailer is that he will hunt down and kill his mother. We know, due to Carrie Fisher’s tragic death, that Leia’s storyline will finish in this film…things aren’t looking good for Leia (whose own storyline for the film wasn’t even touched on as was barely those for Poe, Finn, and Chewie).
- Crait (the salt flat planet introduced in the last trailer) looks like it will be the scene of an epic battle on the surface, inside the planet (I’m assuming the Falcon is racing through Crait’s interior, but that’s pure speculation as is that the immense space battle is taking place above the mining planet), and over it. What makes Crait so special? I’m betting that’s the convergence of Leia, Poe, and Finn’s stories.
- The convergence of Kylo & Rey’s seems to indicate that Rey, frustrated by Luke’s refusal and with nowhere to turn, takes Ren up on his offer to teach her from Episode VII. This could be a red herring, but Rey is going to end up in front of Snoke somehow. Could it be the BIG GIANT TWIST is that Rey is going to join Ren and Snoke? No, I don’t think so either, but it’s there for us to angst over for two months.
- One more note: no duel featured in the trailer. All lightsaber use is in training. All episodic Star Wars films have a duel, and this will too, but with the interactions between Luke, Rey, Kylo, Snoke…who will be fighting who seems totally up in the air.
- Rian Johnson seems to have put together a massive blend of action and character-driven drama, and I think we can pretend to know all we want, we’re still going to be surprised. Now let’s dig deeeeeep.