The Super Bowl has become, over the last decade, increasingly a debut showcase for new movie teasers/trailers, and last night was no exception. Whether you’re mourning the Patriots inability to tie the Steelers as the greatest franchise in NFL history or celebrating the Eagles finally winning the big one, you got to see some trailers last night. Here they all are in one 7-11 sized big gulp with my knee-jerk reactions.
1. Solo: A Star Wars Story – see here for thoughts on full trailer; liked this better
2. Mission: Impossible – Fallout – see here for full trailer thoughts
3. Avengers: Infinity War – continues to look like the movie of the year
4. Skyscraper – I do not ever immediately dismiss Dwayne Johnson….immediately
5. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom – this does not look good
6. The Cloverfield Paradox – maaaan, now I have to renew Netflix
7. A Quiet Place – kind of intrigued; could go either way
8. Red Sparrow – still think this is a Black Widow ripoff, but I’m in
9. Annihilation – Alex Garland? I’m there. Day one.
10. Westworld Season 2 – BRING THIS ON!!!!! Best trailer of the night!
11. Krypton Season 1 – Really want to see this; DC on TV has been pretty stellar
12. Benji – Really?
13. Dundee: Son of a Legend – Really? Really?
Solo: A Star Wars Story has had a troubled production (to say the least), and follows on the heels of the financially successful but fan-dividing Star Wars: The Last Jedi. We got a sneak peek of the 10th Star Wars film last night at the Super Bowl, but Lucasfilm has released the full first teaser today and my reaction is……ok. It looks great. There aren’t any fist-pumping moments for me. I’m not sold on Alden Ehrenreich as Solo. The plot seems to be standard caper fare, but at this point, who really knows? I’m less excited about this film than any Star Wars film since Episode II so my expectations are rather low. I hope I’m wrong. I want to be wrong. The teaser doesn’t really give me enough information to make a decision one way or another. Read below for Coming Soon’s summary. Solo: A Star Wars Story is coming to theaters Memorial Day. Continue reading Solo: A Star Wars Story Teaser #1 (2018) *Nerf Herder: Year One*
It’s not brain surgery, but it’s an elegant title. The second anthology film will be called Solo: A Star Wars Story. Director Ron Howard announced the title today as principal photography has wrapped. While I’m enormously excited and positive regarding The Last Jedi (which opens in only 59 days), I have a lot of trepidation regarding Solo. A lot of them stem from the weird firing of original directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller (click here to read more on that). To some degree, I-like a lot of Star Wars fans-can’t imagine anyone but Harrison Ford as the smuggler, and I don’t have enough confidence in Alden Ehrenreich to overcome that prejudice. I DO think Donald Glover will destroy a young Lando Clarissian. What makes me most nervous about the film is how Disney has refused to budge on the May 23, 2018, release date. That’s not a lot of time to smooth out the wrinkles on a film with a troubled production history PLUS do all the massive amount of post-production work that is required in any Star Wars film. But say all that goes GREAT and the film is fantastic…..I still think Disney is setting it up to fail. Continue reading Han Solo Movie Wraps; Official Title Announced